This is not my original idea – but having boiled a batch of hard boiled eggs yesterday, I continue to be impressed every single time that I get perfectly hard boiled eggs. No green edge to the yolk (did you know that means it’s overcooked?) and yolks cooked all the way through. Ready?
- Put your eggs in a pot tall enough to cover them fully with cool water (and so it won’t splash out when it starts to boil).
- Cover and cook on high until you just start to get a gentle rolling boil. (Tip: Listen for the eggs to start “bouncing” and then watch the pot! You don’t want them to high-heat boil for long.)
- Remove the pot from the heat but leave covered.
- Set your timer for 13 minutes.
- Drain off the water, and rinse the eggs in cold water.
- Peel immediately or throw them in the fridge for later.
As luck would have it, I just got this post on how to cook soft boiled eggs, which sounds equally easy and precise. Look forward to giving it a try!