Hey guys…I DID IT! I made my very first batch of soap! I’ve been wanting to do this for a couple years, and finally committed to doing it this year with the support of the Bramble Berry Soap Crafting Club. I get one kit per month and an online class with lots of support and encouragement. This first kit is a lovely Cleansing Calendula Bar (pg 158 in the Soap Crafting book). Fairly simple recipe which was GREAT for helping me just to get the supplies and rhythm for how soap comes together. Here it is freshly poured into the molds. (Yes, the little mold is just a food container. I had extra “batter” and didn’t want it to go to waste.)
I have to admit I’ve been intimidated at the idea of making soap – but now that I’ve done it, I can see I’m going to be HOOKED on making my own soap. No more soap buying for me!
Here are they key things I learned with this inaugural foray into soap making:
- Working with lye isn’t as scary as it seems – but it is good to have a HEALTHY fear and respect for it. I watched lots of videos and read lots of blog posts on lye safety and I was confident and super careful.
- Even though I thought I had everything I needed set out and ready to go, I didn’t. Thankfully, most things were easily within reach and now I know for next time.
- Turns out, I was far more anxious about the clean up than I was about mixing the lye water. Did I splash any lye water anywhere? Did I get everything clean? Is it safe to take off the goggles and gloves yet?
- The actual mixing and pouring of the soap is only about 20% of the overall time and effort. Prep and setup, and clean up definitely take much longer.
- The hardest part? I now have to wait a couple days to get it out of the mold and 4-6 weeks of curing before I can actually use it! ACK! I am not a patient person! I’m going to have so much soap made before I can even TRY any of it! LOL
I’m already anxious to start experimenting with more recipes, and don’t see myself being able to wait until next month’s kit. I think everyone I know is going to get soap for gifts this year just so I have something to do with it all. And I just might be “forced” into selling some too. 😉
Have you tried soap making? Do you have a favorite recipe, website, or blog that you follow? I’m submerging myself into all things soap making right now, and would love some more resources!
Disclosure: Links in this post may be affiliate links, meaning at no cost to you, I receive a small commission if you making a purchase through one of my links.