I am thankful for our little regional airport. I’m not traveling today, but I was looking at flights for an upcoming business trip. And it reminded me how much less stressful it is to fly out of a small regional airport than a large metropolitan city.
When I lived in Houston, I would have to leave my house nearly 3 hours in advance of a flight…
- “just in case” there was an accident on the freeway turning my 30 minute drive into more than an hour
- so I’d have time to park the car and shuttle nearly 10 minutes to the terminal because the airport is so huge and the off airport parking seemed a million miles away
- so I could get through security which could take anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 depending on which terminal you needed to go to
- and if I chose to go to a different terminal with a shorter security line, give me time to take the tram to the right terminal
Whew! I’m exhausted just thinking about it.
Here? Here I can:
- Leave my house at 12:15
- Drive the 9 miles to the airport
- Park the car and walk across the parking lot to the terminal
- Check a bag (never waited for more than 2 people to do that)
- Get through security (a “busy” day had 10 people in line)
- Make a pit stop
- Be on the plane
- And take off by 1:40
Yeah, that is something to be thankful for.