Wishing all the mommies and fur-mommies out there a Happy Mother’s Day! Here’s the card I made for my own mom (and mother-in-law).
This weekend, we took the plunge and started our very first garden. It was one of my goals this year to grow something, and spring finally arrived here in East Texas. Trust me…everyone seemed to have the same idea. The Lowe’s was crazy busy!
We decided to start small – and since we currently rent, we knew we wanted to work in containers – and we wanted to start with a small investment in case we completely kill everything (which is totally likely). Here is what we’re starting with:
And here is what each one contains (with some marigolds thrown in):
Seriously, there were like a bajillion varieties of tomato, so we picked two to try. I think we’re a little late getting the strawberries going, but I love strawberries so it was worth a try. I also wanted cucumbers, but they were out today, so I might try and pick some up next weekend and add that to our little garden.
So excited to watch them (hopefully) grow…and to enjoy the fruits of our little bit of labor. Watch for updates throughout the rest of spring and summer!
What are you growing this year?
I whipped up a couple Easter cards for some friends who had never heard of Washi tape before. (Gasp! ) I had been thinking of similar ideas to this card and I finally sat down to make a couple.
At first, I printed the egg shape out on paper, adhered the Washi and cut it out. Since the tape is re-positionable, I thought I could peel the paper backing off. Not so much.
So them I drew the egg shape onto a plastic baggie and adhered the Washi to the opposite side (so I didn’t pick up any marker if I needed to reposition), adhered and cut it out. I was able to get the tape off but it was definitely stuck to the plastic more than I anticipated. I think the next time I’ll try something like clear contact paper – I think I saw a blog post suggesting that once. Then you leave the tape adhered to the contact paper and it becomes a sticker of sorts.
So much to play with. So much to learn.
Up until now, I’ve been crocheting exclusively with acrylic yarn. Mostly because it is pretty inexpensive and very readily available at my local stores. It totally works and I will continue to use acrylic – but I also wanted to start working with cotton. Cotton is the preferred material for things like place mats and coasters, as acrylic will melt under high heat and I suspect cotton is also more absorbent. I didn’t know what to expect, but I stocked up recently on an on-line sale, and this past weekend, whipped out a skein to give it a try.